Sunday, June 28, 2009

First 10 Days

Annyeong Haseyo, friends!

First off, sorry I've been sooo busy DOING stuff I haven't had any chance to WRITE about it.

After my flight arrived in Korea on Thursday, June 18 at ~8:00 am, about two hours late, two nice young gents from my recruiting agency--HandS Korea--were at the airport to pick me up. One was Japanese, whom I conversed with in Japanese, and one was Korean, whose English was good enough to talk to in English. They drove me from Incheon airport to Ansan, which took about an hour and a half. On the way I noticed almost all cars were either Hyundai or Kia. Later I noticed that all other things are made by Samsung and LG. Korean people buy KOREAN.

Yamanaka-san on left. Mr. Kim on right.
They took me to my temporary apartment on the seventh floor of a building very near my school. I was just staying there for two days, but it was surprisingly nice and cozy. It came complete with:




Foyer--you must take off shoes before entering.










Bathroom--all regular amenities except a separate shower. The shower was just a spout in the corner and there is a drain under the sink. However, my new permanent apartment has a bigger bathroom and does have a nice separate shower with a door and everything. So that's cool.






Staircase to upstairs bedroom.








Kitchen--sink, clothes washer/dryer combo (no dishwasher), two burners (no oven), fridge, microwave, etc.

There was also an A/C unit and one thing far superior to American apartments: HEATED FLOORS. Useless in Florida (and now in summer), but anywhere it gets cold, you can't beat heated wood floors when you wake up on a cold winter morning.



Bedroom--this bedroom had a high ceiling, but my new place's bedroom, also upstairs, only has about a four-foot ceiling. So no jumping jacks, sleeping room only.




My new, permanent place is almost exactly the same but nicer and newer, with a bigger kitchen and bathroom but low-ceiling bedroom. I think you get the picture. And it's on the 9th floor of one the tallest buildings (if not the tallest) in Ansan.

Here's my view from the 9th floor:















If you noticed the mountain in the distance, Korea is full of mountains. And many people's favorite hobby is hiking and mountain climbing. That is the topic of my next blog, Ryan's First Hike.





But first, here's a quick recap of my first 10 days in Korea. So far, I have:


-been to several bars and tried soju and the local brews (Cass & Hite).

This is a 3Liter draft tower of Cass. Costs 12,000 won (about 10 bucks) at Cave Bar (see the rocks behind it? yea, CAVE Bar).







-eaten out at like 20 places (eating out is about the same price as cooking for yourself--no tax, no tip). I've tried all kinds of things from bebimbap to kimbap, from mandu to dulgass, from bulgogi to kimchi.
Pictured from left to right: kimchi mandu jige (kimchi dumpling stew), dulgass (fried pork cutlet in sauce) & fries, omlet with meat inside covered in ketchup & mustard. All of this for just 11,000 won (<10 bucks) OVERfed 2 people.

-visited Seoul (with my coworker, Lee) and went to the coolest night club I've ever been to (with tons of LASERS!), danced with many hot korean chicks, and got very wasted off of cocktails and imports (like budweiser ahahha).

Oh! important note: No open container laws in Korea as far as I can tell. So you can drink in PUBLIC. yay!

-climbed a mountain (Gwanak-san).
-made some friends.
-taught 4th-8th grade Korean kids English.
-started picking up on some Korean, should be prettty good at it in a few months I think.

I'll go over my mountain climbing stuff tomorrow.

Annyeong Haseyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment